We spent Sunday through Tuesday noon at Kalahari Resort and Indoor Waterpark in Sandusky, Ohio with the kids. Some neighborhood friends also joined us. This was a new experience, but I kind of forgot that it would be. The kids are so adaptable and seem so "American" now that it is really easy to forget that things are still new. Tinsaye does NOT like to not know everything, so she's a master at acting very blase'. As we were packing up, she said really quietly to me, "I've never been on a vacation." and Solomon asked, "Will we have to sleep in the car?".
I was very surprised that we did not get many strange looks at our unusual family. Maybe they were looking at us when my back was turned. I anticipated more staring. I guess there are more interesting people to stare at at a midwestern waterpark (think: obesity and tatoos). Tinsaye acts mortified at the teeny swimsuits and piercings on teenage girls. I think she's trying to gauge my reaction. I am, of course, appropriately disparaging, but I can see her storing it all away for future reference.
The kids had a great time. Loved the waterslides, the body surfing thing, the hotel room, and most of all the giant wave pool. Solomon stayed in the wave pool for so long the waves made him kind of nauseous. It was at the end of the night and he was exhausted and cold and when he gets tired his wandering eye gets much worse. and remember how I said he and Mere both had Fifth's Disease? Its like a rash and it can reappear for weeks, especially with temperature changes. So we were looking at poor Solomon at the end of the night, standing at the edge of the pool, shivering, covered in rash, his eyes going two different directions, and looking like he might hurl, and we said to each other, "I think he's done having fun."
It was good for all of us to just get out of the house for a few days. Now we're back to the grind, but I feel more optimistic about being able to hang on for the next few weeks.
PS. It would be cool if there was a photo of this trip to post on the blog, but alas, no photos exist. I was too busy keeping my eyes on all four at once. No time for pics.
No comments:
Post a Comment