So now I'm catching up. With this blog, with the people in my life, with my priorities. Will it ever be thus?
Here's my new motto:
Find the joy. If you can't find the joy, find the grace.
God put this in my head a few weeks ago while I was developing my crappy habits of irritability and impatience. It seemed lovely. When it came to me, I was like, "YES! That's what I need to do! My life is full of joy and grace. This will be easy and will totally keep my perspective!"
I was wrong. Finding the joy is really, REALLY hard at 9:10pm when I am exhausted and Tinsaye is whining and Meredith STILL hasn't brushed her teeth and Thomas just remembered a math test tomorrow and Brian is yelling at Solomon that he CANNOT buy "crazy cheesy bread" for lunch tomorrow because it is garbage and he'd better get in there and make his lunch RIGHT NOW and all the kids should have been in bed 45 minutes ago and my whole body aches and I just want to crawl under the covers and never come out.
Finding the joy is also really hard when it's 4:15pm and I have foolishly used up all my energy on my 225 students and am now late to pick up Thomas from cross country practice on my way home to get the other three off the bus and get someone to the dentist, the doctor, the therapist, church, a friends' house, Target, a piano lesson, or the library to return late books (see previous post) before figuring out what to make for dinner that is not a) expensive, b) fattening, c) more complicated than 3 ingredients, and d) going to take longer to prepare than 15 minutes.
Finding the joy would also be considered difficult at 11:30am, when I have already seen 150 adolescents, have 30 minutes for lunch and am starving, but have to answer the 15 emails and 2 voice mails that have appeared since 8:20 when I last checked, have a stack of makeup quizzes to grade, have a blown speaker that needs repair and three mp3s that need to be burned to disc, have to call the counselor about one student, call a parent about another two, and write one up for behavior, have a concert next week that needs parents called to help out, two fundraisers that need attention, a trip that is not getting planned because other things need to happen first.
But this is my life. And there IS joy. And lots of grace. When I am completely blowing my stack, Brian will say in a quiet (and definitely snarky) voice, "How about that joy, Joan? Did you find it yet?" (See what I live with?). But when I stop and take a breath and pull back from the minute, I can almost always find the joy.
Working with kids at school definitely brings me joy. The paperwork and deadlines are bad, but the kids are wonderful. I love what I do, I love that I am good at it and that the kids leave my room happy.
Spending 5 minutes alone in the car with Thomas on the way home to the insanity is joyful and precious. He is changing into a teenager before our very eyes and I love the quiet minutes alone with my oldest baby as I listen to his latest negotiating strategy to get a cell phone.
There is grace at 9:15pm when God gives me the patience that I no longer possess on my own to remain calm and move each kid steadily toward bed. And then there is joy at 9:30pm when I have a clean face, clean pjs, a warm bed, and my Nook for 30 minutes of quiet. Plus a couple Tylenol PMs.
See, it's always there. You just have to look for it. I think it's getting easier for me to find.
Blogging helps me find the joy and grace in my life so even though it's another thing to do, I'm going to keep at it. I will backtrack a bit to catch up on the last three months. Thank you to everyone who gently said to me, "I miss your blog posts!" I haven't even posted on Facebook for a month, it's been that crazy. So thanks for your patience, support, and prayers. We are still alive, even though we've been media dark. We've just been finding the joy.

This is exactly where I am at. God has been gently insisting that my "obedience" i.e. doing what He called me to but with a very bad attitude, is not truly obedience. In other words, I could walk through this crazy time in my life, making enormous sacrifices and pushing myself to the limit and still not be obeying. I keep remembering the verse that says, " do everything without arguing or complaining and have tried to start looking for things I can be thankful for.
ReplyDeleteThis was perfect for me today! I was really struggling with parenting stuff and actually thought about waving the white flag or beating the children with it! :) Thanks for being so real! I forgot that I am human and I also forgot about joy.
ReplyDeleteLorraine