I feel like I have an alter ego in the summer. Call her Summer Joan. She even looks different than regular me. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of myself walking past a mirror and think, "whoa, who is that?". I am tan, I have little or no makeup on, I'm wearing Teva's instead of heels, my hair is either wet, scrunched dry, or if I'm at the cabin it might even be under a bandanna that no 40-year-old woman has any business wearing. More significantly, I"m not frowning and I don't have stress wrinkles all over my forehead. I even stand up straighter since the weight of all my responsibilities is mostly off my shoulders: 200 students a day? Not my problem. Hostile parents/administrators? They are mad at someone else right now. Car needs fixing? I've got all day to sit at the shop. Sick kid? Bring it on, that's what I'm here for. Last minute party and I need to get a gift, make a dessert, and buy new shoes before tomorrow at 7? Sounds like fun! See, these are not my normal responses to these situations. Summer Joan has nothing but time so nothing freaks her out.
One of my favorite responses to frustrating situations is "I don't have time for this!" Brian and my sisters make fun of me a lot for this stock line. I say it all the time: water heater breaks at 6am? zipper on kid's winter coat won't zip on the way out the door? phone call from kid's teacher comes in while I'm driving down I-96 in a storm late for a meeting at church? towel bar rips off the wall while I'm drying my hands after cleaning up a quart of spilled orange juice and yelling at the kid who spilled it? I DON"T HAVE TIME FOR THIS. But what I actually mean is "I am already overloaded and I don't need another little frustration adding work to my day and making me late for something that I think is important."
I wish I could have more of Summer Joan's attitude all year round. The reality is that I do have to work full time and so does Brian and we have four kids all of whom are involved in school and activities. We generally have a very full schedule that is not going to get any less full for about a decade. Plus, I look WAY better with makeup, heels, and a close relationship with my blowdryer. So, as always, it's about finding the balance. Remembering the calm feeling of unscheduled summer during crazy times and prioritizing people over deadlines. Acknowledging that there will always be broken appliances and spilled juice and that IS life and I DO have time for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment