Before the kids came home, I used to think "I am totally okay with people staring at our family everywhere we go. I am proud to have an unusual family and I welcome the opportunity to help people see the beauty of diversity."
I now see that I was a tiny bit naive.
It's actually kind of crappy to have people stare at you everywhere you go. I just want to run into Target, get a couple things and get out, but now we all pile out of the van and the sideshow begins. It was a really bad sign when the checkout lady at Target said to us yesterday, "Hi guys! I remember you!" Sometimes people stare because we are black and white, but a lot of times they are staring because the kids are going four different directions while I frantically yell "stay together, don't touch that, we're not buying that, Meredith hustle, put it down, watch where you're going, keep your hands off your sister, pick up your shoe, we have that at home, Meredith walk faster, yes that's amazing, I told you to put it down, here's a tissue, okay fine just one, Meredith where are you now?". So in reality, they are actually staring at me and thinking one of several things:
a. That poor woman. (look of pity)
b. That woman is a saint. (benign smile)
c. That woman is an idiot. (look of skepticism and scorn)
d. How did she do that? (look of concentration as they figure ages, races, potential fathers)
Now I think that I will get better at managing the kids as we maneuver in public places. Also, the new kids won't spend so much time looking at/ touching EVERYTHING in their environment. Meredith may someday move faster. Before long, they will be old enough to stay home while I run to Target. Right now, however, we are the spectacle of the day for anyone in the vicinity.
The best is when one of them wanders a little distance from you and people start frantically asking "Where is this kid's mom?!?!" And you just wave.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you guys! I need to update our blog since we've been home - we should find out Monday how old Abigail actually is!